Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thanksgiving Toxicity

Nope this dog does have a hangover.  With Thanksgiving just around the corner, the image did remind me to stock up on garbage gut remedies.  The staff and I have a betting pool on how many vomiting and diarrhea dogs we will see following a holiday.

I am ever watchful of my holiday guests, especially my grandchildren, feeding my dogs leftovers and tidbits from their dinner plate.  It is certainly foolish to think my dogs would turn down a piece of pumpkin pie because they knew it is bad for them.  But too much of a good thing is certainly not fun for your dog.  The veterinarian side of me has to speak out!

Pumpkin pie is rich with condensed milk, certainly high in calories and not only contributing to obesity but also the rich food can cause gastric upsets.  Many of diet conscious bakers will use artificial sweeteners, which can be toxic to pets.  Turkey skin is high in fat and again can cause dietary upsets.  I remember one Thanksgiving when Scout, my parents Jack Russell Terrier, jumped up on the kitchen bar and was chowing down on turkey carcass!  And another Thanksgiving when he jumped up on the kitchen table where my mother was cooling pecan pies...yep...minus one pie for the family dinner!

In my veterinary world, we have several names the result of indescretionary eating; garbage gut, garbage intoxication among others.  Dietary indiscretion is common while most cases are mild and self-limiting, some dogs however, suffer severe illness that can require intensive treatment.  The worst forms of garbage gut can lead to pancreatitis and other serious complications.

Symptoms include diarrhea (sometimes bloody), anorexia, and vomiting.  No fun for any dog.  Most cases may resolve 24-72 hours without long term health effects.  If clinical signs are severe or last longer than 24 hours, a visit to your veterinarian is in order.  Some dogs require I.V. fluids and anti-vomiting medications, and when this is after hours it can be especially expensive.

The best advise is to resist sharing your Thanksgiving feast with your pets, even if it means the dog is in a back bedroom or his crate during meal time (my remedy to keeping my grandchildren from feeding the dogs).  Politely request adults to not feed your dog, no matter how hard the dog begs and ask them if they are willing to pay your vet bill when they fail to follow directions!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and good EATING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Make this blog your favorite and add RSS for updates.