Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cats are not dogs with an CATTITUDE

Some might think I like dogs more than cats because I spend more time sharing information about dogs than I do cats, especially regarding feline behavior vs canine behavior.  I have two inside cats, Otis and Claws, each with their own cattitudes.  I have shared many Otis and Claws stories with my clients during their cat visits in the clinic.  The main reason that I haven't discussed any cat behavior issues is because frankly I haven't taken the opportunity to teach myself a lot about feline behavioral issues beyond litter box issues.  Behavioral topics among cats and dogs was not something they taught in vet school, at least not when I was attending and I am pretty sure I didn't sleep through that class (because behavioral learning is a favorite topic of mine, two and four legged).  So I have been trying to enlighten myself about cat behavior.  Like dog behavior you have to start by thinking the way cats think; contrary to popular belief and rumors cats are not human (having human thoughts) or dogs (not pack animals or think terms of dog-hood).

So I start watching my cats and their normal behaviors at home...what do they do, when they think you are not looking, and question why do they do that?  For example, why does my cat face away from me, butt in my face, when she lays with me on the couch or sleeps with me in bed?  Just the view I like to see on my cat...her butt!  I have learned that this is a very normal behavior and a positive one.  Sitting or laying with their backside to you shows ultimate trust, a source of security.   Cats are also always on the look out for potential threats, (cats are hunters) so if he watches one direction (making sure nothing evil is approaching-his primary sensory receptors facing forward), they are trusting that you are watching his back from the other direction!  One more thing, in the cat world, a little nose to nose sniffing followed by a little butt sniffing is proper etiquette for introductions (much like the dog world), scent is very important in communication and social structure.

I will try to keep you updated on my learning process and hopefully help you learn more about your cat and it's cattitudes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Make this blog your favorite and add RSS for updates.