Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Favorite Website

As a population, we humans are addicted to this informational age, keeping in touch with the pet world via the internet from our computers, smart phones, ipods, and ipads.  In addition to preventing and treating animal disease, I spend a great deal of my time in conversation with owners about a plethora of animal related issues.  While I am a walking veterinary and animal encyclopedia (HA!), I admit that I don't always have the time to share my valuable information, nor does this organic hard drive of brain always remember or know all there is to know.  Thank God for books and the internet!

I do not discourage my clients from using the internet to keep in the know about their animals.  It is my belief that and educated critter lover makes better decisions about their critter and most times that makes my job easier (as long as they don't try to one up me! LOL).  I do however, warn my clients about the websites they choose to view regarding their veterinary information.  The internet is a great tool, but it is just a tool.  Not everything you read there is correct and valuable.  It is also most important that nothing can replace the veterinarian's expertise at being about to decipher and process details about your pet through a physical examination.  A website cannot listen or feel your pet, ask you pertinent questions about your pet's condition.

That being said, there are lots of websites out there that are great!  Today I have added one to my favorites, Healthy Pet. com.  You can find the link in my favorites here.  This website is posted by the American Animal Hospital Association, and offers not just good pet care information, but also a lot of fun things can be found there.  They have a monthly newsletter, PetsMatter,  I found interesting not just a veterinarian but as a pet owner.  Other things on their menu included; Kids Klub (activities and games), Games (for adults-"Fleas & Desist"), E-cards, Pet Expert Blog and Just for Fun.   A particularly interesting menu item was the ability to create a profile for your pet(s) where you can create a pet journal or any other records that you might want to keep track of.  You do have to create an account (FREE), which I did easily.  You can sign up to receive the PetsMatter monthly newsletter.  Enter their Pet Photo Contest (which I did..Meade looks great!)

I will continue to be vigilant in scoping out reliable websites that you may find fun and interesting.  Check out my favorites here from time to time.  If you find any that you find particularly fun and useful please feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Make this blog your favorite and add RSS for updates.